The temple of Santa María del Tule dates back to the XVII century. In 1630 Bernabe de Cobo mentioned the place in the Spanish Diary and also, in 1776, Francisco Ajofrin mentioned the town, the church and the tree.
In the main altar there is the image of the patron virgin of the town, Virgen de la Asuncion. In other altar the Passion of Christ is represented in Barroque-Salomonic style. All the altars or "Retablos" are covered by 3 1/2 gold carat.
Copyright © 2008 - 2013 ExploringOaxaca.com All rights reserved.
20130618-0254 1.08MB 0.0138s