Temple and convent of The Company of Jesus, Oaxaca City

The Company of Jesus was one of the first religious congregations established in Oaxaca, where they soon began their evangelical action through the towns of the Zapotec and Mixtec regions, and some of the priests preached in the local languages.

Having arrived in Oaxaca in 1576, they founded the Colegio Seminar de San Juan, located next to the temple of Our Lady of Las Nieves, later they open other centers for teaching.

Around 1759, they began the construction of their temple and convent in the downtown, west to the Casas reales. They moved where it is located nowadays, due to some problems of jurisdiction with the Dominics, although the temple was not finished yet.

The temple and convent of the Company were turned over to the bishop of Oaxaca at the end of the 18th century, due to the expulsion of the Company of Jesus and were occupied by the nuns of Conception. Part of the ex-convent would be sold and destined to commercial use.
The site was declared Historical Monument in 1930 and in 1950 the Company took the administration once again.

Travel Guide Exploring Oaxaca

Copyright © 2008 - 2018 ExploringOaxaca.com All rights reserved.

20181210-1341 1.49MB 0.0073s