The Mercedarios got to Oaxaca between 1573 and 1584, who build the temple and convent, which date back to the 18th century.
The earthquakes caused several damages and were rebuilt twice during the 18th century. The convent is quite similar to the Santo Domingo de Guzman convent.
Due to the laws of Reform, a part of the convent became a public garden and a market was established in another in 1861. The rest of the temple and convent were recovered by archbishop Gillow who restored them at the end of the 19th century.
The inner ornamentation of the temple is neoclassic. At the ex convent there is a great work on the quarry. The rest of the facade display the shield of the Order. On the facade of the temple, on its third body, a figure San Pedro Nolasco can be seen, the founder of the Order of the Mercedarios.
Copyright © 2008 - 2013 ExploringOaxaca.com All rights reserved.
20130618-2113 1.08MB 0.0272s