Few are the news of this temple's origin, but due to its location, it's probably that its history is linked to Bethelem Order residence, in the closed sanctuary of La Guadalupana.
Several documents suggest that the original building was relocated.
Towards mid 19th century it was in such bad conditions that bishop Buenaventura Blanco y Elguero decided to rebuild it and the work advanced a lot between 1854 and 1855.
In the last quarter of the 19th century, archdeacon Hipolito Ortiz y Camacho used his personal wealth to finish the building as we know it nowadays.
Its peculiar fronts and lower ornaments correspond exactly to that time, where the influence of bishop Gillow was present in the arrangement of all the churches of the diocese
Copyright © 2008 - 2013 ExploringOaxaca.com All rights reserved.
20130619-1050 1.09MB 0.0558s