This civil building dates back to the early 19th century. It was used as a private primary school only for girls. The Bishop Eulogio Gillow brought Irish nuns and, when they emigrated, they were replaced by nuns of the Word Incarnate, who founded the San Jose Girls School. It was closed for a while because of the arising of the religious conflict. In 1924 The Mixed Teacher training College, called "Normales" was briefly at the building.
On September 14th 1985, the central public Library was established as an organization subordinate to the Directorate of education, culture and welfare.
During a time, there were business in the premises facing out onto the street and with different kind of tenant inside the building.
Copyright © 2008 - 2013 ExploringOaxaca.com All rights reserved.
20130525-1014 1.08MB 0.0274s